October 12 – 19, 2019
Hover on the images below to learn more
You need to fly in to Dimapur airport. As on July 01, 2019, Dimapur is only connected to Kolkata airport with 2 flights coming in on most days of the week. Indigo and Air India are your two options from Kolkata. Both these flights leave Kolkata at around 10 – 11 am, and so you need to reach Kolkata airport before that. There are good connections from most major cities.
Dimapur station is the closest station. It is well connected with Guwahati city. There are about 5 trains that come in each day.
If you are arriving by train, you must reach Dimapur station before 12pm on October 12, 2019.
Similarly, if you are heading by train, you must book a train that leaves Dimapur station after 7 pm on October 19, 2019
What you should do from Dimapur
Our campsite is about 85 km away from Dimapur town.
We will have a vehicle organised at the Dimapur Airport for all our guests coming in on a flight and also a vehicle at the station for all our guests coming in by train. Once all our guests have arrived, the two vehicles will bring you up to our Campsite.
If however, you wish to do this leg on your own, you can take a shared taxi from Dimapur to Kohima town and then another shared cab from there to Dimori Cove hotel in Kigwema, which is the last 12 km of your journey. It is a one km walk from Dimori cove to our campsite.
Google maps link to our campsite
Why a campsite?
This trip is all about you! The purpose of this trip is to truly connect with nature and reality at an intimate level. We feel that a campsite is the perfect way for you to experience life in the natural habitat of Nagaland. This experience will help you connect with your surroundings and your inner self in an extremely unique, never before way, making you more aware of the true essence of living in the natural world. Exciting and thrilling is what it will be! The campsite will also be a great opportunity to connect with fellow participants on the yoga retreat, at a far more personal level.
The campsite will be an excellent opportunity to connect with your fellow participants at the yoga retreat, as we encourage you to spend as much time outside your private tents, interacting and getting to know everyone at and around the campsite (participants, staff members, locals). All of us at the retreat belong to a community of individuals that share a similar passion in life – Nature, Yoga and a Healthy lifestyle. A community of yogis and enthusiasts – and sharing life experiences and personal stories is an integral part of this living experience.
This is a nature based trip and we are using our campsite – Camp David in Kigwema village to host all of you. Our campsite is in a wooded area and fairly well secluded. We think you will really love it. Each of you will receive a tent to yourself unless you wish to share by your own choice. We pride ourselves in our clean loos, clean bathing facility and hot water. We will be providing you a thin mattress and a blanket to make your stay a little more comfortable.
We have the best and cleanest campsite bathrooms in Nagaland. When we have guests on site, the loos are regularly washed down to maintain hygiene. You will not be disappointed. We have Indian and Western loos. We also have shower areas that have 24×7 running water along with hot water in the mornings. As we use wood fires to heat water, we restrict only to once a day.
Where is the campsite?
Our campsite is nestled in the woods of Kigwema village – about 12 kms from Kohima town. It is in the heart of nature with a beautiful view, fresh natural surroundings – surrounded by greenery and tress. The peace and quite around this campsite allows for a far more relaxed and peaceful experience. A brilliant location for yoga – to truly connect with our inner being.
Trip Advisor Reviews
Have a peek at what people have to say about our campsite.
Shibani Sahni - Yoga Instructor and Therapist
Shibani is a global yogi. She has vast experience teaching yoga in India and overseas. Shibani has been trained in Hatha Yoga by the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Center, in Kerala, India. Her specializations are in Hatha Yoga, Ashtanga Yoga, Yin Yoga, Mindfulness, Pranayama and Chanting Techniques. She is able to guide and counsel clients on Yoga postures / asanas best suited for their body type and lifestyle. Shibani enjoys assisting and empowering her clients, through her yoga workshops, sessions and classes. She does this by quipping them with effective skills and knowledge to improve their wellness quotient and to commit to long-term physical-emotional health and fitness goals.
Shibani is also a Reiki Therapist and uses this energy technique to heal physical and emotional pain in clients, through effectively channeling and balancing life energy, within the human body.
Shibani is also a trained counselor / psychotherapist with a psychology background, from one of the top universities in India – Delhi University. Being a trained counselor, and a yoga instructor, Shibani excels in effectively aligning Yoga Therapy and Counseling sessions to assist and equip her clients with effective strategies, enabling them to better deal with life challenges at an emotional, mental and behavioral level. She has experience in non-clinical counseling in area related to anxiety, stress, depression, addictions, dealing with loss / grievance and other life altering situations.
Her style and approach is quite unique and has incredible benefits, as it ais tailored to personally suite her clients individual needs. It encompasses modern and traditional techniques – One could call it a unified approach in Yoga, Counseling and Therapy.
Nagaland Yoga Retreat Schedule
- Hatha Yoga primarily, woven in with postures and sequences from Vinyasa flow AshtangaYoga.
- Restorative and rejuvenating yoga postures and sequences to energise and open up the body.
- Yoga postures to sthrengthen and stabelise the joints – shoulders, knees, hips, neck and the lower back.
- Morning and evening classes (1 hour 20 minutes each) – Morning classes will be dynamic, while evening classes will be more gentle, focused on stretches and flexibility.
- We will also include various Mindfulness aspects to build awareness, like – Meditation, Pranayama and Chanting
- Yoga Philosophy – Creative and interactive discussions on the overall benefits of yoga. Discussions on how YOGA is a way of life and not restricted to the mat. Different ways of incorporating yoga into our daily life through our interactions and actions with those around us.
- An opportunity to connect with our inner self and discover – rediscover an inner sense of peace and calm
- Techniques to increase concentration, focus and personal awareness in our daily life
- If you are experiencing any forms of emotional or physical stress, anxiety or depression – this is just the retreat for you. This one week will help you become calmer, detox and relax emotionally, mentally and physically, in the heart of nature and wilderness.
Level of yoga at the Nagaland Yoga Retreat
- Excellent for all levels of partitioners – with a focus on beginners! If you are new to yoga or have very little experience doing yoga, this is an ideal retreat for you. You will learn the basics of yoga, its health benefits as well as its spiritual benefits, and its overall positive impact on your life. You will also come to realize how yoga works on strengthening the spine, the organs in our body and the immune system.
- If you are a regular yoga practitioner at the intermediary level – we will work with you personally at your level – to sustain and enhance your practice.
- If you would like to work on any particular part of your body to strengthen it – we can assist you in developing a personal practice suited to your physical and emotional needs.
- By the end of the retreat all the participants will have a (20 minutes) daily personal practice outlined outlines for them with a detailed understanding of the benefits of the postures / asans and their positive physical and emotional impact on our body and our lives. You will also learn the importance of deep breathing (Pranayama) and abdominal-belly breathing and its positive effects on our body.
- You will have a better understanding on how best to integrate yoga, meditation and mindfulness techniques into your daily life routine for maximum benefit.
If you are looking for an advanced level course, please write to us here.
- Anyone above the age of 13 is eligible for this yoga retreat. Individuals under the age of 18 should be accompanied by a guardian
- Beginners are welcome as well as those with no experience doing yoga, are welcome to join this retreat
- All beginners would love this retreat as we will be focusing on basic yoga postures and stretches – to maintain a healthy body.
- If you have a basic level of fitness, and you are excited about doing a daily practice of yoga and some walking everyday – this is just the retreat for you. There is no upper age limit, as long as you are healthy. You know your body best to take this call
- If you are over 6 months pregnant or have just delivered a baby (up to 6 months ago) we would recommend attending our next yoga retreat.
- If you have had a surgery in the last 6-7 months, we recommend you wait and apply for the next yoga retreat. Its is always advisable to wait a year after a surgery / operation, before you start the practice of yoga again
- If you are experiencing any forms of emotional or physical stress, anxiety or depression, this is just the retreat for you. This one week will help you become calmer, detox and relax emotionally, mentally and physically, in the heart of nature and wilderness. Our aim is to transform your current state of mind and body to a higher more evolved level.
- As part of this retreat, we will be doing an amazing hike to Dzukou valley. The valley is breathtakingly beautiful to say the least. The hike will start from Viswema village – and it is approximately a 3 hours up hill climb. The first 1 hour is a steep climb, however the remaining 2 hours are a gradual incline. The total climb is roughly 4 to 5 kilometers each way.
Benefits of Yoga
- Increases over all balance in the body – emotional, mental and physical balance
- Energises the body and balances our energies
- Aligns our chakras – energy alignment
- Increases over all flexibility
- Increases muscle strength and tone
- Improves over all breathing, respiration, energy and vitality
- Maintains a balanced metabolism rate
- Helps to calm the body and the mind – inner peace
- Increases concentration and focus
- Helps with weight reduction
- Improves cardiovascular and circulatory health
- Improves athletic performance
- Improves mobility of joints
- Improves over all mental, emotional and physical well being
Overnight hike to Dzukou Valley
- As part of this retreat, we will be doing one amazing over night hike to Dzuoku valley. Dzukou Valley is breathtakingly beautiful to say the least. The hike will start from Viswema village – and it is approximately a 3 hours up hill climb. The first 1 hour is a steep climb, however the remaining 2 hours are a gradual incline. The total climb is roughly 4 to 5 kilometers each way
- Once you reach the base camp – we will serve lunch. Post lunch there will be a 1 hour hike into the center of the valley. The valley will be lush green with beautiful sights and streams flowing. A serene and picturesque view all around
- The walk back from the center of the valley to the base camp is about 1 hour 45 minutes as it is a slightly steep
- Dzukou Valley is approximate 2500 meters above sea level
What you need to bring with you
For Yoga –
For Everyday –
- Comfortable yoga clothes (4 sets). Bottoms and tops (long track pants or long yoga / running tights)
- A sweatshirt or sweater (for the first 15 minutes of your yoga practice, and for final relaxation, as the weather will be chilly)
- Yoga Mat
- A small note pad and a pen (in case you would like to take down any notes during the sessions)
For Hiking –
- Flip flops / slippers for the campsite
- Sneakers / sports shoes / hiking shoes
- 5 pairs of socks
- Warm inners / thermals to wear under your clothes as it will be chilly in October
- Sweaters / jackets / vests / sweatshirts
- A warm shawl
- A stole / neck cover / scarf (for the evenings)
- A head cover (for the evenings)
- Full sleeve tops (for the evenings)
- Baseball cap or a hat to keep the sun out (during the day)
- Sun glasses
- Sunblock lotion or cream
- Regular toiletries
- Micro fiber towel (as they dry very easily)
- Flash light / torch for the evenings and for your hike to Dzukou Valley
- Hand sanitizer and some tissue paper / wet wipes
- Comfortable hiking clothes (preferably long bottom track pants and tops, as it will be chilly and the bushes and shrubs on the way might be dense)
- Hiking shoes / Sports shoes
- Backpack (for the overnight hike to Dzukou Valley)
- Water bottle (useful to keep in your tent throughout the retreat, as well as for the hike)
- Battery pack mobile charger (as at Dzukou Valley there is only solar power available and limited plug points)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served at the Campsite throughout the retreat
- Lunch will be vegetarian (fresh healthy local ingredients)
- Dinner will have vegetarian and non-vegetarian items (fresh healthy local ingredients)
Optional add ons to the yoga programme
The Yoga Retreat includes – The whole yoga and meditation program, ground transportation in Nagaland (airport / station transfers), your stay, all meals, and a hike to Dzukou valley.
We have included the Yoga programme, your stay and food in this programme. We have thrown in a trek to Dzukou valley as well.
In your free time, you can choose to add on the following programmes as well. The costs for these will be nominal and largely dependent on how many of you sign up for each activity.
Option 01 – A tour on the World War II history that Kohima is famous for, along with some of the sights that Kohima has to offer
Option 02 – A walk through some of the local villages to see what the real life in Nagaland is like
Option 03 – A day trek to Japfu peak – not for the light hearted
Option 04 – If you bring your kids along, we can organise extra activities in the day time to keep them occupied while you’re focusing on your yoga
Option 05 – A day trip to the famously beautiful Khonoma village
Likely weather conditions and clothes
Weather in this region is very unpredictable. However based on recent trends, October will be reasonably cold with a small chance of rains. Temperatures will range between 25 degrees in the day time with strong sun light to 5 degrees at night.
What you need to bring
- Thin and thick jacket
- A shawl that can double up as a blanket over your sleeping bag
- A head cover or scarf to cover your neck – you will only need this late at night if you venture outside your tent
- Warm wear for your legs and feet – usually a thick track pant or a thin set of thermals will do the trick.
- A lot of socks!
How to register
Early bird tickets @ Rs. 36,000 ai
available till September 30, 2019
Programme tickets @ Rs. 39,000 ai
available till October 10, 2019